Sunday, October 21, 2012

You, Me and an Application

While reading the article Why Race Matters in School Admissions I found out that race was an aspect that some colleges look at when considering your application. The article is about two deans, Martha L. Minow and Robert Post from two very important law universities of the United States, Harvard and Yale.  I thought it was very interesting how to deans of opponents law schools joined together to write this article. They are responding to the demand of the supreme court of ignoring race when considering applications.

 

After reading the article I agree with them. “The character of our students is relevant to the quality of our leaders.” I totally agree with this statement, I think that character really shows what you’re capable of and what you can achieve over time. I also think it’s true that character is revealed on life circumstances and it’s very important to see what kind of life applicants have and how they respond to it.

 

It is true that race is different in each person and in some people it might be excruciating to look at.  I think it was good when colleges looked at the character and the story of life of each applicant. “While we agree that it is inconsistent with the dignity of persons to consider only race, we firmly believe that it is equally inconsistent with their dignity to refuse to hear what applicants have to tell us about the role that race has played in their lives.” In this statement we can see that they are not only looking for race but, race is one of the factors.

 

 “We need to select a class in which students have different perspectives, diverse aspirations and complementary strengths. Law students learn not only from faculty and books but also from each other.” As this statement says in laws schools it is very important to have students with different perspective, point of view, and ideas. I agree with this because law is a career in which you learn a lot from classmates.


No comments:

Post a Comment